Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Simple, Healthy & Delicious: Ancho Chili Chicken with Black Beans

As a single gal on my own, I find that I can save money and save my figure (since I like to eat my sweets and anything decadent) by buying lean chicken breasts in bulk.  I usually get a bulk pack and wrap each chicken breasts in saran wrapped to be frozen till its required usage on a one-off basis for my meals.   With that said, I looked in my freezer the other night and found two chicken breasts laying around so I decided to make something with them.  I decided on this recipe because, its tasty,  fast and a healthy alternative to pork/beef meals.  It also has black beans which is a great source for fiber and antioxidants.  Lean chicken is a good source of lean protein and B vitamins as well.  You can pair this meal with yellow rice.

This recipe is from Cuisine for Two: Simple, Healthy & Delicious.


Makes 2 servings
Total time: 30 minutes


Season; Saute in 1 T. Olive Oil:
2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (5 oz. each)
1 t. dried oregano
1/2 t. ground cumin
1/2 t. black pepper
Use a large saute pan and high heat until brown, about 2 minutes per side.  Transfer to plate


Toast in 1 T. Olive Oil; Stir In; Puree:
2 dried ancho chiles, stemmed, seeded and broken into pieces
1 1/2 cups of tomatoes, chopped
12 cup onion, cut into chunks
3 garlic cloves, smashed
1 corn tortilla (6")
1 cup chicken broth
Salt to taste
Two minutes to toasts the chiles over medium heat.  Then add tomatoes, 1/2 cup onion, garlic cloves, and tortilla; simmer for 3 minutes.  Stir in broth, bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium-low, return chicken to pan.   Cover and cook until chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165 degrees, about 5 minutes.  Remove breasts; puree tomato mixture in food processor, then season with salt.

Saute in 2 teaspoons Olive Oil;
1/4 cup onion, minced
1 t. garlic, minced
1 can black beans, drained, rinsed (14 oz.)
Saute onion and garlic in a small sauce pan over medium-high. Stir in beans to heat through, then season with salt to taste.



Garnish with:

Cilantro sprigs
lime wedges
crumbled queso fresco








Please note:  I forgot the lime.  Oops.

No comments:

Post a Comment