Sunday, January 9, 2011

Breaking in the Food Processor with Chutney

Chutney is term used for a mix of spices simmered to accompany Indian main dishes.  It also serves well as a spread on crackers and served with warm Brie.  You can find chutney in the world spices section in most grocery stores but the recipe is simple and quick so I decided to make it from scratch.  This is an American/European style chutney which are usually with fruits, vinegar and sugar, cooked down to a reduction. Flavorings are always added to the mix. These may include sugar, salt, tamarind, onion, or ginger.

This recipe is from Cuisine at Home Issue N0. 68 April 2008

Makes 1 cup 
Total time: 30 minutes

 2 cups grape tomatoes, halved
 1/4 cup red onion, minced
 3 T. golden raisins (I used the regular kind since I had some in the pantry - they might be sweeter I think)
2 T. sugar
2 T. apple cider (I had pear apple cider laying around so I used that)
1 T. fresh ginger, minced
1/2  t. red pepper flakes
1/8  t. ground coriander
1/8  t. ground allspice

1)  Simmer all ingredients in a saucepan over medium heat until tomatoes are broken down @ 15 minutes.  Stir occasionally.
2)  Off heat, puree half of the chutney in a food processor, then fold into remaining chutney.

Of course, I forgot to puree only half of the chutney with all the excitement of breaking in my food processor.  Pureeing only half of the chutney creates a thick sauce that still maintains texture. Oh well.... Trial & error in kitchen, as in life.

No comments:

Post a Comment