Monday, December 20, 2010

What a Crock: German-Style Pork Stew

Crock Pots emerged in America in the 1970's at the crossroads of convenience and love of meat.    I work all day, go to the gym daily and spend about 1 to 2 hours there and by the time I get done with my day, it is late and I am hungry.  Crock pots are the perfect solution to my time crunch.  I love the idea of "set it and forget it."

Once again, I bought a magazine book a while back with 179 crock pot recipes without owning a crock pot. I finally got one for $16 during the holiday sale.  What a deal!!!  I picked this recipe  because it was under the "Budget Bests" section and it literally has 6 ingredients and 3 steps, thanks to the crock pot.  How can one falter?  Apple juice and caraway seeds, classic flavors that compliments pork, season the meat and the rich brown gravy.

Prep:  25 minutes
Cook time:  7 to 8 hours (low) or 3 1/2 to 4 hours (high)
Yields 4 servings


Nonstick cooking spray
2 to 2 1/4 lbs. boneless pork shoulder or beef chuck, trimmed and cut into 3/4-inch cubes
1 16 to 20 oz. package of refrigerated diced potatoes (I used fresh ones since I had them around)
2 12 oz. jars of mushroom gravy (cream of mushroom)
1 1/2 cups apple juice
2 teaspoons of caraway seeds

1)  Lightly coat a 12-inch skillet with cooking spray.  Heat the skillet over medium heat.  Add pork; cook and stir until light brown.  Drain off fat.

2)  In a 3 1/2 or 4 quart slow cooker, combine pork, potatoes, gravy, apple juice, and caraway seeds.

3)  Cover; cook on low-setting for 7 to 8 hours or on high settings for 3 1/2 to 4 hours.

Please note:  No pics till I fix my camera or get a new phone.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment