Thursday, February 17, 2011

Brazilian Chicken & Shrimp in Tomato-Coconut Sauce

I finally made time to make myself homemade dinner.  Sometimes, I get so caught up with work, working out and running around that lately I found myself buying lunch/dinner  from my usual spots.  I missed how cooking made me feel calm.  I usually take my time in the kitchen and if anyone has ever cooked with me, you know I take F-O-R-E-V-E-R.   Better late than never though right?

I love coconut milk.  When I think of coconut milk, I remember my Grandmother's soups and dishes swimming in coconut milk and this immediately brings a warm feeling in my heart.  Not to mention the unstoppable watering & drooling that commences when I smell coconut milk.  Ok, you get the point, I love coconut milk.  It's raining outside and I wanted some comfort food.

This recipe came from Cuisine at Home Issue N. 67 Feb 2008

Yields:  2 servings
Total Time: 35 minutes



Cook:
1/2 cup of long grain white rice ( I opted for brown and of course it's going to take F-O-R-E-V-E-R)

Saute in 2 T. Olive Oil; Add:
2 boneless skinless chicken breasts, seasoned with salt & pepper (5 -6 oz. each)
1 cup of onion
1 cup green bell pepper, diced
1 T. garlic, minced
1. T. red pepper flakes

Stir In; Add:
2 cups of tomatoes, chopped
1 cup coconut milk
6 medium shrimp, peeled, deveined, halved lengthwise (3 oz.)
1/4 cup scallions, sliced
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
2 T. fresh lime juice
Salt to taste

Garnish With:
Chopped fresh cilantro
Lime wedges

Cook rice according to package directions; keep warm.

Saute seasoned chicken in oil in a large sauce pan over medium-high heat until browned on both sides, about 4 minutes.  Add onion, bell peppers, garlic, and pepper flakes.

Cover and cook until onion is translucent, about 3 minutes.

Stir in tomatoes and coconut milk; cover and cook until tomatoes begin to break down, about 5-6 minutes.

Add shrimp, scallions, cilantro and lime juice; cover and simmer until shrimp are cooked, 2-3 minutes.

Season with salt.

Spoon rice onto 2 serving plates, then divide chicken and sauce between them.

Garnish with cilantro and lime.









No comments:

Post a Comment