Friday, November 26, 2010

Cranberry Orange Cake Squares with Vanilla Royal Icing

I ran Lake Merced today and what better way to celebrate than with sweet squares of holiday goodness?  I've had this package of  Trader Joe's Cranberry Orange Bread Mix for a while now and I decided to make it for the festive flavor.  I consider it a cake in the sense that it has icing on it. SMIRK.

The CAKE is pretty simple since it's really just the packaged cake mix with the required ingredients.  I don't think I need to type up the whole.  Instead of using an 8 X 4 pan (which I need to get from Ross), I used a 9 X 13 pan instead and cut the bake time in half.  I recommend following the directions of baking it with an 8 x 4 pan. 

The VANILLA ROYAL ICING is an old classic icing recipe except I added 2 extra things, vanilla extract and whipping cream.

2 egg whites (or powdered egg whites)
3 cups confectioners sugar
1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
1 teaspoon of pure vanilla extract
1/2 cup of whipping cream

The vanilla was a premeditated addition but the whipping cream was a spontaneous incorporation.  I was planning on making cream puffs with an old friend but we have yet to synch up with our schedules.





I can definitely sit and eat this whole things by myself.  To prevent this catastrophic event from happening, I decided to cut them into small squares so I can ration my sweet cravings.  Oh, I had extra icing left over so I guess I will have to bake something else this weekend.  Oh darn. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment